Mark Brown is a Sydney based sound, installation and photo media artist exploring the phenomenology of space, architecture and acoustic atmospherics. Brown’s practice has evolved into a poetic response to site, critiquing the history and function of architecture by documenting and making manifest unseen and unheard phenomena in space. This playlist maps a trajectory through strategies in the creation of sound composition and music derived from field recordings, sampling, artist made instruments and meta-generative techniques.
Minit’s samples of ‘absence’ recorded in the place where the Berlin wall used to be are layered into a subtle building wall of sound in Berlin Untitled. Wolfgang Voigt’s Pop 4 pulses through the black forest of reconstructed pop elasticity. Inside the white cube, a museum goods lift opening its doors to hear the ruminations of a disembodied forensic entity in Fontana Musee Incident. Einsturtzende Neubauten’s sound sculpture / instruments flail on the stage of Werner Schwab’s Faust. During the Acoustic Space Lab project in Irbene Latvia Zina Kaye & Mr Snow inhabit a decommissioned soviet satellite communications dish and distilled the unseen sonic particles it collects. Ian Andrew’s Dude Descending a Staircase traverses the static of radio waves and glitch frequencies in a Duchampian audio readymade. Echolocation is a recent collaboration with myself and Vincent and Vaughan O’Connor, the intention was to create a live sonic meteorology of field recordings and circuit bending.
1. Minit – Berlin Untitled (zwischen alexandrin und alte Jacob strasse) [ Metaklang / RMIT Gallery Melbourne 2003 ]
2. Wolfgang Voigt aka GAS – Pop 4 [ Pop / Mille Plateaux ]
3. Mark Brown + Ion Pierce – Fontana Musee Incident [ ICAN Gallery Sydney 2008 ]
4. Einstertzende Neubauten – Das Orchestra [ Faustmusik / Rough Trade Records ]
5. Zina Kaye + Mr Snow – Firmament [ Acoustic Space Lab project / Ventspils International Radio Astronomy Center Irbene Latvia 2001 - 3 ]
6. Ian Andrews – Dude Descending a Staircase [ Static Museum2 / Artspace Center for Contemporary Art Sydney 2001 ]
7. Mark Brown + Vincent & Vaughan O’Connor – Echolocation (Live) [ Paramatta amphitheatre, Sydney 2008 ]